Monday, October 17, 2011

Egg Tofu and Black Jasmine Rice

I just experienced my first completely work-free weekend since we moved to Vietnam!  There was simply no better way to celebrate my newfangled freedom than cooking up a tempest in the kitchen and taking shots with my new camera.  Since it was a dreary day and my vegetable drawer was looking a little bare, I decided to cook up some comfort food.  But first I put on some tunes: Kurt Vile's new album Smoke Ring For My Halo has been a mainstay for me lately.


Then it was time to cook: Chop up a robust head of cabbage.


Cut it into bite size chunks.


Break it up and add to a pot of water with a vegetarian bouillon cube.


Add a few hot peppers for flavor and bring to a boil.


Simmer until cabbage is soft.


Next take out some rice.  Gavin and I have been trying different kinds of rice I discover at the local market, so I went for some Black Jasmine Rice I picked up the other day.  Supposedly healthier and heartier than the brown and white varieties, it has a slight nutty flavor and is almost creamy once cooked properly.  Rinse away!


Last, but certainly not least, I started on my egg tofu.  I've mentioned it before on the blog, but I don't think I did it justice.  Egg tofu is delicate, flavorful, and one of my favorite foods here.


Cut open the package and gently slide out the tube of tofu.



Slice and add to a pan of hot olive oil.  Cook on a medium/high heat until golden brown, flip, and cook the other side through as well.


Once everything is ready, serve the rice topped with a few slices of egg tofu and drained cabbage.  There is no possible way you'll finish all the cabbage, so hold on to it.  Lunch is usually served with room temperature vegetable soup in Vietnam, so it can go to use in your next meal.



Serve with spicy soy sauce, a pair of chop sticks and a spoon.  Tasty and hardy.  Perfect for a rainy day.


1 comment:

Carol said...

There is a certain crispness in your photos with the new camera....looking good.